Tuesday 8 May 2012

Shrinky Dinks Pins - Mother's Day

As a teacher I know that it's always tough to think of something new and exciting to have your kids make for Mother's Day. This year I got the idea of using ShrinkyDinks to create a gift for the mothers of my students. I apologize right now for the lack of step by step pictures. I just get into something and forget that I should take pictures.


I used an extra large craft punch to cut out the ShrinkyDinks. I also used it to punch out the same shape from regular paper for my students to practice on. Once they were satisfied with their drawing I allowed them to use fine point Sharpies to draw their picture on the ShrinkyDinks.  Since I teach Kindergarten, I went over plenty of times not to push hard (the colour will intensify once it's baked), and about how if they get on our clothes they will not come off. 

Once my students were finished it was time to bake! I used some parchment paper and baby powder to make sure they didn't stick and just followed the instructions. Except for one thing....you'll see!


Oh yeah, I also had them write their names and the year on the back so that it could be kept as a keepsake.


I thought I'd save time and cook them all together but they seemed to have different cooking times so I had to take them out and put them back in the oven just a few at a time. 


With a little extra time they turned out perfect!

I used Weldbond to glue the pin backing (found in the jewelry section at Micheals) on  and let them cure for 24hours. 




It's kid of hard taking your own picture so I apologize.


Anyways, what mother would not love to wear her kid's art?

Hope your having an amazing day!

- Jocelyne


No comments:

Post a Comment